Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 375g box polenta
- 398g can sweetcorn, drained
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese, grated
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 cucumber, chopped into chunks
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- small bunch coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- juice 2 limes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Bring 1.5 litres of water to the boil in a large saucepan. While stirring the water constantly with a wooden spoon, tip in the polenta in a steady stream. Lower the heat so the polenta isn’t spluttering too much, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins. Meanwhile, line a 40 x 30cm tray with baking parchment. Stir the corn, chilli and grated cheese into the polenta with 2 tsp salt, then spoon out onto the tray. Spread to a rough rectangle, making sure the polenta is packed tightly and there are no gaps. Cover with another sheet of baking parchment and a flat baking tray, then top with some cans or jars to press and flatten the polenta while you chill it in the fridge for at least 2 hrs, or up to a day.
- Before barbecuing, mix together the avocado, cucumber, spring onions, coriander, lime and 2 tbsp oil with seasoning.
- Heat the barbecue (or a griddle pan), trim the edges off the set polenta to neaten, then slice into 12 wedges. Brush both sides of each wedge with a little of the remaining oil and barbecue or griddle for 5 mins on each side until charred and hot through. Serve a couple of wedges per person, topped with a generous spoon of the chunky green salsa.